Yes, I am available to give a seminar for your department!
Yes, I am available to lead training workshops for your department, government agency, or non-governmental organization!
Please contact me at WhySharksMatter at gmail to schedule something.
I have prepared seminar talks on a variety of topics, including:
- The role of modern communications technology in ocean science and conservation
- Stakeholder perspectives of shark conservation and management policy
- Recreational shark fishing in Florida: an interdisciplinary analysis of an emerging conservation issue
- Stable isotope analysis reveals unexpected trophic complexity among coastal sharks
I’ve given seminars at the following institutions:
April 3, 2018, Environment and Climate Change Canada/Pacific Wildlife Research Centre, Ladner, BC
October 27th, 2017, Simon Fraser University FABLAB seminar series, Burnaby BC
October 20th, 2017, University of British Columbia Institute of Fisheries seminar Series, Vancouver, BC
October 20th, 2017, University of British Columbia BLISS seminar series, Vancouver, BC
September 28th, 2017, University of Washington School of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences departmental seminar series, Seattle, WA
September 21, 2017, Simon Fraser University, Les Ecologistes Seminar series, Burnaby, BC
January 13th, 2017, Florida Atlantic University Marine Seminar Series, Boca Raton, FL
July 22nd, 2016- Monterrey Bay Aquarium Seminar Series, Monterrey Bay, California
November 5, 2015- OpenNOAA Science Seminar Series, Silver Spring, MD.
I offer a variety of hands-on, participatory professional development training workshops. They are designed for anyone interested in improving how they communicate science or conservation topics, including but not limited to graduate students, advanced undergraduates, university faculty and staff, government natural resource management agency employees, and environmental non-profit employees.
- Effective science and conservation outreach through the media
- Using social media to communicate science and conservation
- Communicating science and conservation to the public
I’ve led or co-led training workshops on these topics at universities and scientific conferences all over the world, including:
- Simon Fraser University Postdoctoral Association brown bag training workshop, 2017
- University of Washington School of Aquatic and Fisheries Sciences, 2017
- The 4th International Marine Conservation Congress, St. Johns, Canada, 2016
- The Joint Meeting of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists, Reno, Nevada, 2015
- Sharks International, Durban, South Africa, 2014
- The 3rd International Marine Conservation Congress, Glasgow, Scotland, 2014
- Ecological Society of America, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 2010